Besides calming your body and mind, yoga is an excellent way to relieve and prevent Back pain. Incase of slip discs and severe spine issues, go slow and practice Iyengar yoga. As Iyengar yoga is more therapeutic in nature and using props is like helping your body with external support, that is props.
Yoga helps in strengthening the back, stretching it and improving circulation to the spine and nerves. It is a great for prevention and relieving back pain.
1. Matsyendarasana: You have many options when it comes to twisting postures. This being one of the basic and effective ones to help with back pain.
2. Dhanurasana: This posture is a wonderful way to strengthen the back muscles, but if you have a back injury, take this easy as it can be intense.
3. Marjariasana: These postures help to massage the spine, while also stretching the back and the torso. These postures are a great way to keep the back limber—and happy.
4. Paschimottasana: It’s easy to do a Seated Forward Fold in a way that won’t benefit you, but doing it right can open the lower back and offer relief from stiffness and pain. Instead of rounding your back, continue to reach your sternum forward, lengthening the torso. If this hurts your back, bend your knees as needed.
5. Viparita Karni: Pressure is released from the spine in a supine position relieving the back from mild strain.
6. Halasana: Plow pose is a terrific stretch for the back muscles (and hamstring muscles of the legs) and makes a nice addition to your routine to help with back pain.
7. Parvatasana: This classic yoga pose is a great total body stretch that targets back extensors: the large muscles that help form your lower back, support your spine, and help you stand and lift objects.
8. Balasana: Not only is Child’s Pose an amazing way to relax, it can also stretch your entire back and your hips. The more you extend in either direction, the more you’ll feel relief.
9. Shalabasana: Locust is a great way to strengthen your lower back. With consistent practice, the pain reduces.
10. Surya Namaskar: 11 rounds of suryanamaskar a day, keeps back pain at bay. And also helps in relieving back pain.
When it comes to back pain, prevention is key to a long and pain-free life, but listening to your body is also extremely important. Don’t force any posture that could cause injury. If your pain is extreme, you may want to seek medical attention.
Yogi. Blogger. Storyteller After, a decade of being a fitness enthusiast and various trial and errors with corporate jobs and teaching (post a PG degree in Management).