The American College of Sports Medicine has a new #1 on their Annual list of 20 Fitness Trends of the year.
1) Ever since 2008, Educated & Experienced Fitness Professionals has topped the list; but this year the ACSM anticipates HITT (High Intensity Interval Training) to trend the most. HIIT typically is done within 30 mins that includes High Intensity Training interspresed with short Rest & Recuperation. Examples of HIIT include Cross-Fit! Incidentally, Yoga comes in at 10 on this list.
2) Other research sites however list Yoga as the #1 Fitness Trend in the world simply because Yoga is now also being utilized as a complimentary Fitness activity as well. So Runners, Athletes & Sportsmen, Dancers and Cross-Fit folks are training in Yoga on the alternate days to keep their Body balance, flexibility and muscle-recovery at an optimum level. And Yoga itself is seeing more innovations such as Aerial Yoga & Acro Yoga, Yogalates and more. It seems everyone wants to use Yoga stretching and the mind-body connect coupled with varied physical work-outs.
3) Other important trends include the Digital Fitness revolution – which has now moved from Fitness Junkies to even common folk! These gadgets and apps include Watches & Arm/ Chest Straps & Shoe sensors to tell you how much you’ve run and at what heart pulse, etc. Recent apps allow you to determine the calories in your food and make you choose wisely. The latest trend is in fact Online Fitness Classes and not just DVDs. So you can sign up for the Group Ex classes of your Gym Online; without having to leave your home, search for parking and share the gym showers! 🙂
4) Group Personal Training is something catching on; wherein 3-5 people get together to form a group and work with a Personal Trainer – thereby sharing costs; while also making it a focussed and result-oriented activity.
5) Body-Weight workouts continue to be popular as more people look to work out outdoors and that include push-ups, pull-ups, burpees, squats, lunges and more. These help you get fit, toned and you have the chance to take your training outdoors!
Total Yoga is a balanced style of Yoga that focuses on Fitness training and Mindfulness practice equally.