Padahastasana is one of the most important Yoga forward bending asanas. It is repeated twice in each Surya Namaskaar round as well.
How to do it?
1. Stand upright with a very slight gap in between your feet and inhale.
2. Exhale and Bend forward from the hips until your palms or fingers touch the floor on either side of the feet , without bending your knees.
3. Bring the forehead as close to knees as you can.
4. Hold this pose for 30sec to 1 min with steady and calm breathing.
5. Inhale and stand upright again.
People suffering from back conditions should not bend forward fully. they can bend from the hips keeping the back straight making a 90 degree angle with the legs.
– Ruchi Renavikar