This pose strengthens the digestive system, stimulates metabolism, and purges your body of toxins by massaging the digestive organs, increasing the blood circulation, and strengthening the core. It is believed that peacocks can eat deadly snakes without being affected by their venom. Each snake the peacock destroys represents an earthly attachment. As you practice this pose, try to cultivate the true spirit of being liberated from poisonous things in your life.
How to do Mayurasana:
– Kneel on the floor and place the feet together.
– Lean forward and place both palms between the knees on the floor with fingers pointing towards the feet. The hands with need to be readjusted according to comfort and flexibility.
– Bring the elbows and forearms together. Lean further forward and rest the abdomen on the elbows and chest on the upper arms.
– Stretch the legs backwards so they are strait and together. Tense the muscles of the body and slowly elevate the trunk and legs so that they are horizontal to the floor. Hold the head upward.
– The whole body should now be balanced on the palms of the hands. In the final position, the weight of the body should be supported by the muscles of the abdomen, not the chest.
In the beginning, this asana should only be held for a few seconds and can be attempted a second time when the breath returns to normal. Mayurasana should be performed at the end of a sequence. Mayurasana can speed up the circulation quite vigorously and tends to increase the amount of toxins in the blood as part of the process of purification. Therefore, it should never be practiced before any inverted asana as it may direct excess toxins toward the brain. Also, be careful not to face plant in to the floor!
How it helps:
This asana stimulates the metabolic process which increases secretion from different glands. It stimulates the elimination of toxins from the blood, assisting the removal of skin conditions such as boils. All the digestive organs are massaged and intestinal peristalsis is stimulated. It is useful in managing flatulence , constipation, diabetes and sluggishness of the liver and kidneys. It harmonizes the glands of the endocrine system, restoring balance to the body.