5. Find space in your mind: We often get caught in a loop of thoughts. Start identifying less with thoughts and feelings, by noting them as they come and go. It reduces the intensity of feelings of stress and worry by up to 50 percent. You’re not trying to reject your thoughts or trying to stop having them altogether. It’s more like stepping onto the bank of a river and simply watching the river of thoughts flow by as opposed to diving in and trying to reverse the flow.
6. Reduce your gadget time: TV, Ipad, Laptops, Phones are relaxation devices. They further activate your brain and start associating with stories, people and events. They fill your head with noise, without the redeeming qualities of music or reading or good conversation. Reduce their usage and you’ll notice your mind begins to quieten. 🙂
7. Get in touch with nature: Connect with the blue sky, ocean, trees, rain, mountain, anything in the nature. Relish them, observe them and be a part of the nature. It’s like connecting to your soul.
8. Single-task. Multi-tasking, for the most part, is a good way to fill your mind with a lot of activity. But, without a lot of productivity or happiness as a result. Instead, try to single-task — just focus on one task at a time. Clear away everything else, until you’re done with that task. Then focus on the next task, and so on.
9. Let go. Worrying about something? Angry about somebody? Frustrated? Harboring a grudge? While these are all natural emotions and thoughts, none of them are really necessary. See if you can let go of them. More difficult than it sounds, I know, but it’s worth the effort.
10. Create a sacred space
Nothing says sacred space like a simple shrine, made very personal to you, on a small table or corner of your room. Follow these steps to get set up:
- Light tea lights—our favorite are made of beeswax. Turn off the lights and let the flicker of warm, soft light soothe you.
- Use Incense or essential oils—scent is a powerful way to define a space and can make it calming and enjoyable.
- Add an inspiring image, which can be a photo of nature or someone who inspires you or any object that is beautiful to you.
- Place a small carpet and a few throw pillows on the floor in front of your space. Use meditation cushions and create your blissful space.
Giving yourself the gift of quiet and calm. It changes the quality of life. You become more open and receptive. This year, gift yourself a decluttered mind and environment. 🙂 🙂